The latest edition of MFOL News (Winter 2016) can be read online HERE.
2016 Donna Forand Fantastic Friends Award
Is your Friends of the Library group a current MFOL member?
Did they do something new and fantastically creative in the last 12 months?
Massachusetts Friends of Libraries (MFOL) is accepting nominations for the 2016 Donna Forand Fantastic Friends Award. The winning group receives $300, a commemorative plaque, and $200 for their library. The recipients will be honored at MFOL Friends Sharing With Friends on October 22, 2016.
We can only award to current MFOL members. If you are unsure of membership status, please e-mail Keith Schwegel, MFOL Treasurer, email@example.com and he will confirm your status. Nominations are accepted from the Friends, Library Director, or Board of Trustees.
This award is for a new creative activity – not a traditional Friends activity (e.g. annual book sale). The activity should have taken place between June 2015 and May 2016. The nomination period opens on June 1, 2016 and completed nominations are due by August 22, 2016. They must include the following under Background Information and Factors for Award.
- Sponsoring group
- Contact person
- Address, phone and e-mail
Factors for Award:
- Impact of the Friends activity on the Library’s ability to better serve the community
- Degree of creativity involved in the activity
- Cost effectiveness of the activity
- Extent the community was involved in the activity
Completed nominations must reach MFOL by August 22, 2016. They can be mailed or e-mailed to:
Alice Welch, President, MFOL
700 Brooks Pond Rd, Apt 303
Leominster, MA 01453
MFOL and MBLC invite you to join us for a Friends Sharing With Friends event on Saturday, May 21, 2016, from 9:30am to noon at the Bellingham Public Library (100 Blackstone Street, Bellingham, MA).
9:30 — Registration & coffee
10:00 — Welcome from the Massachusetts Friends of Libraries and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
Panel Discussion: What makes your Friends group a Success?
• John Tavares, Friends of the Acushnet Public Library
• Ron Ziemba, Friends of the Newburyport Public Library
• Diane Dopp, Friends of the Thomas Crane Public Library, Quincy
• Erin Williams Hart, Trustee/Friends Information Specialist, MBLC
11:00 — Short break
11:15 — Open Sharing Session: This is YOUR time to share your great ideas and achievements and hear from other Friends groups!
Please register no later than Friday, May 20. To register, contact Sharon Zitser (MBLC) at 1-800-952-7403 x252 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and provide following the information:
- Name of Friends group or Library
- # attending
- Name(s) &title(s) (e.g. Friend, Trustee, etc.) of attendees
- Contact phone #
- Contact email